Local by Flywheel is one such tool that has been gaining attention for its ability to simplify the website development process when it comes to creating WordPress Websites.
In the digital age, having a strong online presence is crucial for businesses, freelancers, and hobbyists. Whether you’re a web developer, a designer, or someone looking to experiment with website creation, having the right tools can make all the difference.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore what Local by Flywheel is, its features, and why it’s an excellent choice for creating websites on your computer, and further guide you on the steps to get started.
If you’re interested in optimizing your web development workflow in creating and managing WordPress websites, this article is a must-read!
What is local by flywheel?
Local by Flywheel is a user-friendly, powerful local development environment designed to help you create, test, and manage WordPress websites right on your computer. It’s developed by Flywheel, a company well-known for its managed WordPress hosting services.
This tool is also useful if you are a newbie and you want to master creating websites with WordPress, with this tool, you do not need to purchase any website hosting package or set up a complicated environment on your PC.
Local is the result of Flywheel’s commitment to simplifying the development and testing process for web professionals and enthusiasts.
Features of Local by Flywheel
- User-friendly interface that makes it easy for both beginners and experienced developers to get started. The interface is designed to streamline the web development process, allowing you to create websites without extensive technical knowledge.
- It enables you to set up and manage local development environments with ease. You can create as many sites as you need, and each site gets its own isolated environment. This means you can work on multiple projects simultaneously without interference
- Speed and efficiency: with Local, you can enjoy quicker load times and smoother development processes, ultimately saving you time and resources.
- Local by Flywheel is specifically optimized for WordPress development. It provides one-click installations of WordPress, making it the perfect tool for building, testing, and modifying WordPress websites.
- It simplifies database management by allowing you to easily import and export databases. This feature is particularly helpful when migrating websites or working on collaborative projects.
- SSL Support, ensuring they’re secure and optimized for search engines.
- Custom Environments: Advanced users will appreciate the ability to customize their development environments, enabling them to meet specific project requirements and mimic live server configurations also making use of Add-ons.
- It comes with Live Links for you to share your local websites with clients or collaborators. This feature enables real-time collaboration and feedback.
Why Local by Flywheel is the Ideal Tool
1. Accessibility and Cost-Effective
Local by Flywheel is free to use, which makes it accessible to everyone. Whether you’re a professional developer or a student looking to experiment, Local doesn’t require a financial commitment.
2. Streamlined Development Process
By creating a local environment on your computer, Local significantly speeds up the web development process. This not only saves time but also reduces the risk of errors, making your workflow more efficient.
3. Seamless Collaboration
Local’s live links and database management features simplify collaboration with clients and team members. You can share your progress and receive feedback in real time.
4. SEO and Performance Optimization
The ability to set up SSL easily and test website performance makes Local a valuable tool for those focused on SEO and site optimization. It ensures your websites are in the best shape for search engine ranking.
While designed with WordPress in mind, Local is versatile enough to accommodate various web development projects. Whether you’re working on a simple blog or a complex e-commerce site, Local is up to the task.
Steps on how to get started with local
Step 1: How to Download and Install Local
Before you can get started with Local by Flywheel, you need to download the software. Local is available for both Windows and macOS, making it accessible to a wide range of users. Here’s how to download it:
- Visit the Local by Flywheel website: Go to the official website at localwp.com.
- Download for Your OS: Click on the download button suitable for your operating system. Local supports Windows and macOS.
- Run the Installer: Locate the Local installer file you downloaded and run it. The installation wizard will guide you through the process.
- System Requirements: Ensure your computer meets the system requirements for Local. Generally, Local is compatible with most modern Windows and macOS systems.
- Configuration Options: During installation, you’ll have the opportunity to configure settings, such as the installation path and default settings for new sites. Adjust these to your preference.
- Complete Installation: Once you’ve configured your settings, proceed with the installation. This will copy the necessary files to your computer.
- Launch Local by Flywheel: Once the installation is complete, you can launch Local. It will open a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to start creating websites.
Step 2: Create your local WordPress site
After launching the tool, it is now time for us to create a new site. You can choose to import an existing site by simply selecting and importing the zip file.
For this guide, we will use the “create a new site” feature to create our website. Select the feature as indicated in the picture above and then click on continue.
Next, we will have to give your site a name. This will be the name of our website i.e. your domain name.
We will then proceed to set up our environment. This is where our WordPress website will be built on. You can choose between the preferred or the custom option. For starters, it is better to go with the “preferred” option.
But if you want to set up your environment to fit a certain environment you can select the “custom” option to customize further and finally click on continue.
Next, you will have to set up WordPress admin login details for your WordPress dashboard. Simply put in your details and click on Add site.
After that, your installation will begin. Depending on your internet connection it may take several minutes to complete. If your installation is successful and complete, you will be faced with the local dashboard where you see a summary of your installation.
Also, you will see the options to visit the site, the admin dashboard of your WordPress website and an option to generate a live link to share your website with selected people.
Step 3: Export your site / Take it live
Exporting your site and taking it live is a crucial step when you’re ready to launch your website on a hosting provider that can be accessed from anywhere at any time in the world.
To export your site, you will have to make use of a plugin called all-in-one-migration. This plugin is highly recommended by the WordPress Community.
Simply go to the plugins section on your WordPress Dashboard and click on Add New, then search for the plugin; install and activate the plugin and you can proceed in exporting your website as a file. This file will be downloaded into your computer and you will be able to import it on your live website
Local by Flywheel is undoubtedly an excellent tool for creating and managing websites on your computer. Whether you’re a web developer, designer, or someone just starting out, Local’s accessibility, user-friendly interface, and powerful features make it an indispensable part of your toolkit.
By following the steps in this guide, you will be able to create and manage websites locally and also improve your skills by trying out new stuff and ideas on your local machine.